Friday, July 6, 2012

Dear Zombie Apocalypse Diary Day 3: Where desperation rules my choices... (part 2)


Second Life

On the coast, daylight, not a clue to my location. Heard rumours that it was wise to head north, but I have an awful sense of direction, and don't know how to tell north from south. With my back to the coast, I wandered off to my left. Thinking again to stay away from any towns, I seemed to forget the part where I really need supplies. And that should be first on my to-do list. I followed some train tracks that were nearby, and then I saw it! It looked like a lighthouse, I bet it was the same lighthouse I came across on my first “Day” of this DayZ world. The one that I’d stumbled into on that dark night, and quite cleverly broken a leg when I climbed out of it.

Happier times.
With that familiar landmark in the distance, I found my spirits raised. And as I got closer, I saw a sheep! This is the first time I’d seen any animals. In my brief journeys I’d only come across zombies. I had not even come across any other survivors, only heard evidence of them in the distance, with the sound of occasional gunshots and buildings seen going up in flames. My wanderings of a zombie apocalypse landscape have so far been a lonely tale of woe.

So I stopped and patted the old woolie.

The lighthouse was small, and definitely the same I’d found earlier on that first dark night. This time I climbed up it very carefully, looked around, then climbed out, even more carefully! There was nothing there to be found, so I continued my journey, up a hill and into the trees. I just kept on going and going. I jogged for a long time, never seeing any signs of civilization and when I finally did, it was a farmstead.

The door to the house was another door that I could not open. But the barn was wide open, sneaking over to it, I was made nervous by the zombie grunts I could hear from nearby. I made my way into the barn, looked on the floor, around some boxes, still no loot anywhere to be found. The barn had two double level lofts on both sides, so I climbed up the stairs, no loot there either. I looked across over to the other loft, and slammed myself to the ground! Held still, in a flat prone position, heart beating hard. Shit!

There was a zombie on the other loft. And I don’t think it had noticed me. Foolishly I decided it was not looking in my direction, I figured was safe to move around. I climbed up to the next level. There was an axe on the ground, I couldn’t it pick up, must have been decorative.

I checked on the zombie, it was on the move, to this loft! I ran to the edge, realised I couldn’t make it in time. As I was standing there, deciding the best time to try and make a run past the zombie without falling off the loft, the zombie had made it to the loft below me. And then something strange happened, it walked along the loft, kept on walking right through the wall and fell off the loft on the outside of the barn. I don’t why!?

After a short time I thought it was safe enough to venture out of the barn, out the other side, not the side that the zombie had fallen out. I sneaked around to the other side of the barn, to see if I could spy on the strange zombie. It appeared dead, flat on the ground. I ventured over, definitely dead. And it had loot. A Lee Enfield mag. What am I going to do with a Lee Enfield mag, I packed it in my almost empty bag.

My further journeys are too boring to describe, it was a few more towns, every time I tried a door, it never opened. I was getting really desperate. I was finding no loot. I was hungry, and worn out. Finally I came to a larger town with a church. I even heard gunshots as I neared. But I didn’t see anyone. I tried the doors of the first few house I came across, but still none opened. I wandered past the church, and somehow I attracted the attention of a zombie, there was nothing to do but run. And so I ran. Kept on going, up hills, through trees, eventually I lost the few zombies that were chasing me.

I think I wandered around in a circle, I came to another town, it looked like the same I’d just left, but I think it was a different town. Still no more doors opened, except for a small shed, nothing was inside. But I closed the doors, and decided to call it a night.

And that was my third day of DayZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment